Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Sandra Bland

"Believe it or not, I am still not over Sandra Bland
Go figure, right?
I mean a black girl, with a loud mouth, and take not shit from nobody serving it blood running through her veins
You know, they type to own her own body or swear she did anyways
And parade around all proud and what not of this churn or woman and darkness she has bled
It's almost as if she had a voice or tried to use it somehow before the noose and/or trash bag snatched it out of her throat
And I know it's hard to believe that months later your ears are hearing the same damn poem
And, trust me, it's hard to believe that my fingers are writing it
But how eerie it is to see a woman so much like you die and have it called a mystery
You know we crowded around Twitter that day, and so many after, trying to solve a riddle
Like, how long can a black girl lives if she speaks when not spoken to?
And how closely can America watch and still not see the blood spilling from the brown?
Must you drown in it to realize?
Must we all go missing?
When I stand in the center of campus and say that, "I AM SANDRA BLAND" 
And a sea of white faces look on in confusion
Or look away in disgust
I realize how suicide =CAN be murder
And we are still trying to solve the riddle
The answer is clear:
It is easy to be killed by oppression
To have it fester beneath your skin and have it suck all the light and/or blood out of you
I do not know what type of pain one must cower under to hope for death instead
I do not know who wrote this riddle, who thought it funny
But I do know that I AM Black
That I AM Woman
That sadness accompanies my loud mouth and slides beneath my toes daring to swim its way into my throat
That, itself, is reason to believe they tied the noose
So. Believe it or not, I am still not over Sandra Bland.
Go figure, right?"

No comments:

Post a Comment