Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Dance Will ALWAYS Be Life

And this is truer than true. No matter how far I have strayed, Dance will always be at the core of who I am.

Dance has taught me more about myself and this world than I can put into one single blog post. 
I'm grateful for the late nights and early mornings. 
For the bruised toes.
For sprained ankles. 
Tendinitis.
Rotation.
Concussions.
(Yes, concussions.)
Blood. Sweat. And literal tears.
For it all.

One thing for sure, dance is not easy. That's not why we do it. There are no easy claims to fame. No fast money. And often times it can be a world full of rejection.
But we are FREE here. 

I say "here" and it can be kind of confusing, being that I don't really study dance any more. I'm not actively taking classes or performing, and to be honest I don't even remember the last time I thoroughly stretched. But every single time a song comes on, I'm moving inside. 
Every time, I want to give up on a simple task I hear the words of all of my former teacher-loves cheering me on; reminding me that complacency never gets cast. 
People who give up don't see the bouquet of roses. 
And that no matter what, you dance through it all.
From house lights to curtains, you leave your entire soul on the stage and for one moment you are both completely empty and drastically full.
For that moment, it is all worth it and you are breathing with your favorite song.

Dance has taught me that perseverance is the only way to make the curtsy worthwhile.
So even when times are tough, when the work is piling, the interviews are plenty, but callbacks are few...when it seems the easiest thing to do is fall and stay there,
Remember that, we have danced our entire life here.
The beauty is coming.
The beauty is here.
It's in the dance. 






No comments:

Post a Comment